Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mom, you are disgusting

I should be doing about a dozen other things besides updating this blog. But, oh, well.


When I was a small child, visiting my dad, the food choices were either exotic or low class- depending on how you look at these sorts of things. One dinner which Jason and I enjoyed immensely, was sardines lined up on a piece of buttered bread. Yummy. Sometimes dad would go to this very particular butcher, and have the highest quality sirloin ground up. We would go home and dad would mix it with various things, shape it into patties, place it on wheat bread with thick sliced onion and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, and voila! Dinner was served. I never thought anything about what I ate, except that I was always hungry and I enjoyed everything.


Occasionally, I get a hankering for a nice tin of sardines, bathed in oliver oil, lined up neatly, and waiting to be a tasty snack. Also, steak tartar, or pickled herring, smoked oysters, mmmm. All a culinary delight to me, and an object of scorn and disgust to my picky offspring. I guess I should have served them up such things when they were Vivvie's age. Maybe it isn't too late to work on Vivian. I do have a leftover sardine here.....

No comments: