Thursday, April 26, 2007

Camp Cooking

I've developed a week long menu which is easily transported and restocked on the road. I wonder if we will grow weary of the same menu each week. But the point of the trip is not food, the meals planned are tasty, and I guess that we just won't eat tuna sandwiches, hotdogs, or mac & cheese for the remainder of the year after returning home. If anyone has menu advice, has worked with dry ice for camping trips, or has tips for restocking on the road, I'd appreciate it! Most of the camp sites have a water spicket and an electrical outlet right there, and that makes things very easy. But there will of course be the campsite that is more pioneering and will require an open fire and a dutch oven, with dry ice keeping the hamburger frozen. A dutch oven is the most enviromentally friendly thing to clean, since you only use a scrubber and water. Soap is the worst thing that could happen to cast iron. Easier yet to clean up is a roasting fork-but I don't think I can endure hotdogs more than once a week. And what else can you really cook on a roasting fork?- well a marshmellow, obviously, but I'm talking entrees here....

3 comments:

Sarah Faith said...

what about those nature things (bear naked or something like that) that you add hot water and it turns to stew? it's specifically for camping. do you know what i'm talking about?

Jenny said...

Yup. I do know quite what you are talking about. Those are wonderful for two people, but when you are preparing food for 8, it gets ridiculously expensive.

Sarah Faith said...

Well then I guess hot dogs it is.